Friday, November 09, 2007

Why?!

So, continuing on from yesterdays post (by the way, yes you were right sid).

The company I work for is housed in a big building, which in turn houses another company. We're both of a similar medium, but my company is distinctly commercial, whilst the other company is the antithesis of commercial. There's a common canteen area in which we all purchase and eat meals (hence the name, kitchen) but aside from that, there's various doors and locks which require swipe keys to access, etc, etc, you get what I mean.

Anyway, yesterday I was walking back from said canteen area, I had to walk through one of the aforementioned swipe key doors. There was a tradesman behind me (not affiliated with either company) so I thought I'd be nice and hold the door for him. At the same time one of colleagues (a little older than me and around the same age as the tradey) also made his way up to the door, and some sort of light hearted jocularity ensued, in which it was intimated that a guy like me would hold the door open for someone.

The trady then made some comment to my colleague about he thought I was from 'down there' (meaning the other company). As I kept walking and he was told I wasn't, he said to my colleague but with clear intent for me to hear, "he looked like he was down there". It was said with some degree of humour, and I said I'd take it as a compliment, but I couldn't help but think that this guy would probably dislike most of the content my company produces and would fit into the 'other' company's demographic a lot more.

So why give me shit because I don't look how he thinks I should look?

Forgive the teenage notion of my question, but I mean really, what's the fucking point of making statements like the one he made?

I dunno.


I just don't get it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true though.... you do look like you come from down there. ;-)

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When someone uses the term "down there" I always think of girlie bits, so perhaps you could take this as a compliment?

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Girlie bits....I want to come from down there too.

8:49 AM  
Blogger I Am Man I Am You. said...

the funny thing is Bryan, most of the 'down there' folk look nothing like me. if people only knew.

Jula-usually when someone calls you something associated with 'down there', it isn't a compliment, but i like the way you think.

mert-are you getting enough of the good stuff at the moment?

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably as much as most men with a wife who is 6 weeks off popping.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home